Skip to main content

WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE

From 'Cool Hand Luke'. Which has nothing to do with this post.
I went to a workshop for parents of autistic children and did something you’re not supposed to do. I asked the other parents sitting around the circle in that church basement how many of them thought they had characteristics similar to those of their kids. 

The workshop leader glared at me. We’re not supposed to presume any sort of genetic disposition toward autism.

I wasn’t trying to make trouble. But I do see some stuff in my boy that I see in myself. For instance, I tend to be pretty literal –– when my ex wife texts me, for instance, that she plans to drop off the cool hat I bought my son the next day, I assume that she intends to drop off the hat the next day. This gets me in trouble because apparently, anybody can see that what she really meant was that I could get the hat from her the next time I picked up the kids from her house. 

My boy suffers from the same rigid thinking and in him it’s called “autism.”

Anyway. Before the workshop leader could stop them, every single other person raised their hands. 

This got me thinking.

Real estate agents tell their clients all the time that everything is going to be alright when what they mean is “the transaction is going to close and I’m going to get a commission check.” 

But to you –– the person buying or selling a house –– does that mean the same thing?

It doesn’t, does it?

“Everything is going to be alright” means you’re going to be happy with the result. That you'll find the house you want to buy at a price you can afford. Or that you'll sell the house you have to people who will love it as much as you do for a price you both think is fair.

If you don’t believe me, ask my kid. Or ask yours. 

A lot of real estate agents don’t get that.

Brian Belefant is an Oregon Licensed Real Estate Agent whose son is ASD / SPD (and who knows, he might be, too) so he gets it. Call him at (310) 854 2458 or send him an email at brian (at) belefant (dot) realtor.

Comments