Skip to main content

HOUSES AND LEAD AND AUTISM

Yum!
Up until my son was three, just about everything went into his mouth. Slugs he found in the garden. His sister's elbow. The bannister. 

I didn’t freak out too much, but maybe I should have. We were living in a house built in 1910 and as most real estate agents will tell you –– and ours told us –– if a house was built before 1978 it almost certainly has lead paint. The big concern is lead dust, most of which comes from paint that’s deteriorating. Our paint wasn’t deteriorating.


And here’s a new one: The National Institute of Health sent out a release in June of this year that indicates that there’s a connection between heavy metals –– including lead –– and autism. 

Federal law requires that if you’re buying a house built before 1978, the seller must provide you with an EPA-approved information pamphlet on identifying and controlling lead-based paint hazards entitled Protect Your Family From Lead In Your Home and they must disclose any information concerning the presence of lead-based paint or lead-based paint hazards in the home. You also must be permitted to conduct a paint inspection or risk assessment for lead-based paint or lead-based paint hazards. 

If I’d known then what I know now, I probably would have still ended up buying that house. But I would have taken a much closer look at the EPA-approved pamphlet. And I would have asked a lot more questions.

The agent I worked with back in 2006 didn’t do anything wrong. In fact, she did a pretty good job. But now that I have a kid who’s ASD, I’d like to think I can do a better one. Just saying. 

You can reach me at 503-715-2852 or by email at brianb (dot) mrealty (at) gmail (dot) com.

Comments