Skip to main content

STUFF YOU CAN'T PUT A NUMBER ON

This past weekend I took my son to the Special Olympics Oregon Youth Games. They were held at Nike’s world headquarters in Beaverton and if you’ve never been to Nike’s world headquarters, OH MY GOD!

I would give up my career in real estate to work as a janitor at Nike if I got to go to be on that campus every day. They have a track that goes around the whole place, where you can run past swimming pools, golf courses, soccer fields, weight rooms… all for the use of the employees. (Are you reading this, anybody in HR at Nike?)

Anyway. That’s not my point. 

Special Olympics puts on these events in all 50 states, focusing on teaching kids with intellectual disabilities the basics of a popular sport. Last year my boy did track and field. This year he thought he’d try golf. And the kid is a friggin' natural. I mean, look at the picture I took of him making a chip shot! I’m not even sure what a chip shot is, but this one is perfect. 

That’s not my point, either. 

The Special Olympics people work with partners who commit to making the event memorable for kids with intellectual disabilities. I’m pretty sure the events in the other 49 states are just fine, but I guarantee you that Oregon is the only state in the country that has the world headquarters of Nike in it and that makes a difference. 

It makes a difference because of Nike’s culture. The company believes in working with special needs kids. And since Nike is such a dominant corporation in the Portland area, this inclusive culture can’t help but becomes part of Portland’s culture as well. 

And yeah, it’s a two way street. Nike is also a product of the culture of Portland, which already tends to have a pretty tolerant vibe.

And here comes my point. (I know, finally.) When you’re looking for a place to move, bedrooms and bathrooms and square footage are important, but what’s also important are the things you can’t put numbers to as easily. Like will your kid be bullied or ostracized and will he or she have opportunities to be exposed to things that can make a real difference in his or her life? 

Okay, reality check. Your kid will be bullied and ostracized. Hell, neurotypical kids get bullied and ostracized. But if you keep an eye on what kind of neighborhood those bedrooms and bathrooms are in, you might be able to minimize that bullying and ostracizing and maximize those opportunities. 

You might also have an easier time finding qualified child care, pediatric care, after school programs –– not to mention teachers, school administrators, and other parents who actually understand some of the unique challenges you face. 

Another reality check. Even in a city as generally progressive and inclusive as Portland –– with companies as understanding as Nike –– you’d be making a huge mistake if you were to believe all people around here do is drink kombucha and sing ‘Cumbaya’. Portland is a city and like any other city there are pockets of extreme tolerance and pockets of extreme intolerance.

And so while this particular post might sound like a commercial for Nike or Portland, it’s not. It’s a reminder for you to take the unquantifiable into consideration when you’re looking for a place to call home. Sure, home is walls and doors and floors and windows. But more important, it’s where you feel safe, comfortable, understood, and appreciated. 

If I can help, let me know. You can reach me at 503-715-2852 or by email at brianb (dot) mrealty (at) gmail (dot) com.

Comments