Skip to main content

MY SON AND MENTAL ILLNESS

This being Mental Health Awareness Week, you might think I’d want to talk about my son and mental illness. 

And I do, just not at the same time. 

My son is autistic. He is not mentally ill. He does not need to be “cured.” What my son needs is a little understanding, a lot of reminding, and an environment that doesn't overstimulate him. He needs a tree to climb, a problem to solve, a recipe to try, and an idea to share. He needs a father to protect him from bullies and charlatans and a teacher who doesn't freak out when he figures out the answer to a math problem in a totally unconventional way. 

Mental illness is another thing entirely. 

There are literally hundreds of distinct mental disorders and if you’re so inclined, take a look at an alphabetical compilation put together by Mental Health Matters that they culled from the DSM-IV, DSM 5, ICD-10 Chapter V, and online resources. 

Of those, the National Alliance on Mental Illness has identified five mental health conditions in need of better public understanding. It’s not a bad list to start with. I thought I’d share their links so you could read what NAMI has to say about them.


Take a moment to look them over. And then, please, see that Share button down there to the right? Yeah, pass the information along, would you? 

Thank you.

You can reach me at 503-715-2852 or by email at brianb (dot) mrealty (at) gmail (dot) com.

Comments