Skip to main content

A SCOUT IS TRUSTWORTHY, LOYAL, HELPFUL, FRIENDLY... AUTISTIC?

A break in the rain.

Last week we had our first Webelos den meeting of the school year and because I’m a den leader (stop laughing –– I only do it so I can wear that spiffy uniform and meet women) parents of two of the new kids came up to me as we were getting started to express their concerns. 

What each of them said came down to the same thing: I want to be sure this is a good environment for my kid, since he was diagnosed as (ADD/ADHD/ASD/SPD/OCD). 

I laughed. Which didn’t go over very well, so I explained pretty quickly that the reason I laughed is that scouting is actually an awesome environment. I told them that not only is my son ASD/SPD, but that several other kids in our den either had diagnoses or probably qualified for one. 

I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but it’s not. 

I spent this past weekend with my nine-year-old at Webelos Woods, a camp out for Webelos where they get to experience the way Boy Scouts do things. Hanging out with the parents while the kids played kickball in the rain, it was stunning to learn how common diagnoses are, and heartwarming to learn that even parents of kids who are neurotypical are aware of the prevalence of these diagnoses and are well-versed in interacting with kids who either have them or could.

Before you get the sense that the Scouts has become a dumping ground for kids who ride the short bus, let me point out that a) most of the kids in our pack are neurotypical and b) most of the kids in our pack wouldn’t think to give a kid a hard time for having… eccentricities. My kid is the one who’s really good at climbing and always –– always –– volunteers to help cook and clean up. Johnny (name changed to protect Johnny’s identity) is the kid who freaks out if anybody calls on him in a group. The poor kid can’t walk to the front of the room to collect a badge he’s earned. Mikey (again, not his name) sings to himself and likes to make sound effects. A lot. Charlie (yep, that’s his real name –– not) daydreams pretty much constantly. 

Granted, these were all kids who were excited to give up a perfectly good weekend to pitch a tent in the rain and learn about knots and knives and building fires, so yeah, they all share a special brand of quirky. But if you ask me, there’s something to be said for putting your kid in a group where leaders are trained to deal with every possible situation (remember, the Scout Motto is "Be Prepared") and more important, inclusion, fairness, responsibility, and kindness are emphasized. And where important life skills like starting a fire with a cotton ball are learned. Neurotypical or not.

Interested in Scouting? Buying or selling a home? You can reach me at 503-715-2852 or by email at brianb (dot) mrealty (at) gmail (dot) com.

Comments